Re: conversion to git

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: conversion to git
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:18:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Eric Blake wrote:

What is the purpose of converting to git?

Primarily speed, but also security.  In particular, Bruno found a rather
telling flaw in the CVS model of pushing all local files to the server,
and letting the server do all the work:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2007-03/msg00474.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-cvs/2007-01/msg00018.html

Distributed version control systems (dvcs) do not have this flaw.

Personally, I enjoy the speed of browsing history on my own machine with
gitk rather than the slowness that is cvsweb.  It makes archeological digs
through version control much faster.

Git seems to be quite new and still very Linux centric. It is not even included in the 'ports' collection on my FreeBSD system (only GNU 'git' is there which the 'git' INSTALL file says that no one wants anyway). When going to install the whole thing on my Solaris box, I can not finish building everything without installing a package called 'AsciiDoc' which says that it installs in the "normal places" which when I went to look means into the very *core* of my operating system unless several scripts are manually hacked. So I look some more and see notes to the effect that formatting the docs will likely fail anyway unless I am an XML typesetting Guru. Then I did a 'make -n' to see what would be installed when I installed git and see that it will install 139 new executable commands so that it can pretend to be emacs command completion if Bash is used. Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!

It seems that in the last couple of years, a plethora of new versioning systems have emerged because all of a sudden everyone decided that they didn't like the CVS they had been successfully using since 1992.

Git, arch, aegis, mercurial, quilt, subversion, CVS, RCS, SCCS, plus many proprietary systems. It seems that version control is becomming the new Babel of open source. Before we know it every project we come in contact with will be using a different version control system and all that is left is a state of perpetual confusion in the open source community.

Bob
===
Bob Friesenhahn