Re: conversion to git

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: conversion to git
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:19:15 +0200

Hello,

First, can we agree to keep an (at least) read-only CVS mirror
for Autoconf running for, say, a couple of years?  Thanks.

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 04:18:23AM CEST:

> Git seems to be quite new and still very Linux centric.  It is not
> even included in the 'ports' collection on my FreeBSD system (only GNU
> 'git' is there which the 'git' INSTALL file says that no one wants
> anyway).  When going to install the whole thing on my Solaris box, I
> can not finish building everything without installing a package called
> 'AsciiDoc' [...]

Installation of asciidoc annoyed me too much, and when I finally got it
installed as non-root user, it still wouldn't work.  Luckily you can get
preformatted manpages in a git branch and copy that manually to desired
places (what an archaic way to have to install stuff! ;-)  as described
in git/INSTALL:

|   Alternatively, pre-formatted documentation are available in
|   "html" and "man" branches of the git repository itself.  For
|   example, you could:
|
|        $ mkdir manual && cd manual
|        $ git init
|        $ git fetch-pack git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git man html |
|          while read a b
|          do
|            echo $a >.git/$b
|          done
|        $ cp .git/refs/heads/man .git/refs/heads/master
|        $ git checkout
|
|   to checkout the pre-built man pages.  Also in this repository:
|
|        $ git checkout html
|
|   would instead give you a copy of what you see at:
|
|        http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/
[...]

Hope that helps.