Problem with tests for GSL

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: Problem with tests for GSL
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:18:57 +0100 (CET)

I'd like to start using the GNU Scientific Library (GSL) with my package,
GNU 3DLDF, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get Autoconf to
find the library in order to set the values of preprocessor macros
correctly in `config.h'.  I had a look through the manual and the
mailing list archives, but I didn't find a solution to my specific

I've attached the following files in a tarball:

gsl_test.c -- A file containing a minimal C program that compiles and
              runs on my system.

On my system, I must use the option
when compiling `gsl_test.c'
and the options
-L/usr/product/parallel/GSL/gsl-1.6/lib -lgsl -lgslcblas
when linking `gsl_test.o'.

In addition, I have added

Is there a way of getting Autoconf to use the `-I' and `-L' options
above when testing for the presence and usability of the library?
Or is there some other simple solution?

While I have read the M4 manual, I really don't feel up to writing my
own tests for this.

I'd be very grateful for any help and/or advice.

Laurence Finston