Re: XCode 3.0 sys/types.h breaks AC_CACHE_CHECK for ac_cv_have_intxx_t

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: XCode 3.0 sys/types.h breaks AC_CACHE_CHECK for ac_cv_have_intxx_t
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:45:33 -0600

On 22-Nov-07, at 10:42 PM, Brian A. Seklecki (Mobile) wrote:

Apple et all:

There is a 200+ line unified diff between sys/types.h in XCode 2.5 and
XCode 3.0, but no version information?

# diff -u /tmp/types.h  /usr/include/sys/types.h | wc -l
    217

# ident /usr/include/sys/types.h
 /usr/include/sys/types.h:
 ident warning: no id keywords in /usr/include/sys/types.h

Anyway, it breaks basic GNU Autoconf macro checks (I found it trying to
build Bacula w/ XCode 3.0 and OS/X 10.5.1).  See the error below.

The duplicate definitions are in: sys/stat.h and sys/types.h and
sys/dirent.h:

Hi Brian,

Since I am subscribed to both lists, I guess I had better reply :-)

You cut:
| #define daddr_t long

From what you pasted from config.log, this is pretty much bound to cause issues when including sys/types.h.

When it checks for daddr_t, it does so in a test that does:
| #if HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
| # include <sys/types.h>
| #endif

But has not defined 'HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H', because the configure script has not yet checked for it.

This is a bug in the bacula configure script, it should do header checks before it does type checks, it is neither an autoconf not an Xcode bug. If you move the header checks to just after the compiler check, rerun autoconf, and configure again, you should have better results.

Thanks,
Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman