Re: Portable method to change sysconfdir

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Portable method to change sysconfdir
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 19:48:53 +0100

Hello Stephen,

* Stephen Torri wrote on Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 06:02:21PM CET:
> I am looking for a portable method that will allow me to change the
> location of files installed into the sysconfir ($prefix/etc). Right now
> my contains:
> dist_sysconf_DATA = \
>       db_config.xml \
>       file_config.xml \
>       memory_config.xml
> I want to install them to a named sub-directory in $prefix/etc.

As developer, you could for example

  pkgsysconfdir = $(sysconfdir)/$(PACKAGE)
  dist_pkgsysconf_DATA = \
        db_config.xml \
        file_config.xml \

As user, you can
  ./configure --sysconfdir=/where/ever

> Also I
> would like to have a entry made into config.h giving this location as
> well or a flag used by the preprocessor. This way the program knows
> where the default directory is to start looking for the configuration
> files.

Several methods listed here:
You can also use the gnulib module configmake (for the standard
directory names).