Re: Which variable expands to /var?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Which variable expands to /var?
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 23:24:00 +0100

Hello Bob,

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:07:14PM CET:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Eric Blake wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the feedback.  I withdraw my support for a --with-fhs option;
> >instead, I'm adding this to the manual:
>
> It seems to me that the documentation should include a warning that OS
> distributions should not provide a default config.site file with this
> content or else users will accidentally overwrite formally packaged
> tools.

I'm not sure I understand.  With this config.site file, you still have
to `./configure --prefix=/usr' in order for the changes to apply.  But
then, even without the config.site file, users will generally overwrite
packages tools.

Of course I agree that default config.site files are problematic for the
plain reason that they alter behavior in a way not documented by --help.