Re: _AS_LN_S_PREPARE question

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: _AS_LN_S_PREPARE question
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 08:18:49 +0100

* Duft Markus wrote on Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 12:25:03PM CET:

> I configure something with --build=i586-pc-winnt on an i586-pc-interix*
> host. I use build to keep anybody from thinking, that we're cross
> compiling (in reality i am cross-compiling, but still i can execute
> those binaries). As compiler i use a wrapper that calls microsoft's
> cl.exe in native windows.
>
> Now autoconf detects (correctly) that softlinks work fine, and everybody
> is happy - except cl.exe which doesn't understand those softlinks. I
> manage to catch most of them (e.g. links to libraries) in my wrapper
> around cl.exe, but i cannot catch linked header files, since the
> .c/.cc/.cpp files just say include, and the compiler looks up the files.
> If one of those include'd files is a link, cl.exe crashes.

Is there a LD_PRELOAD-like mechanism on windows, by which you can
intercept all open-like library calls?
<http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/nt/DLL_PRELOAD/> suggests there isn't one.

Why does MS not provide a compiler fully capable of working in the
Interix environment in the first place, by the way?

<mode="snide remark">Can't you just use GCC on Interix?</mode>

I suppose you can work around this by putting
  LN_S='cp -p'

in a suitable config.site file.  Yes, I know that's an ugly workaround,
but I'm running out of ideas here, sorry.