Re: configure options for directory variables in standards.texi

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: configure options for directory variables in standards.texi
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:40:54 -0600

    Using $(FOO) [or ${FOO} - same] allows the user to override FOO when
    invoking make.

Sure.  My question was about recommending $(...) for Automake users
instead of ${...}.  Let's take an example.  Here's one of the
descriptions as it is written now:

    `bindir'
         The directory for installing executable programs that users can
         run.  This should normally be `/usr/local/bin', but write it as
         `$(exec_prefix)/bin'.  (If you are using Autoconf, write it as
         address@hidden@'.)

Here's my understanding of what Ralf is proposing:

    `bindir'
         The directory for installing executable programs that users can
         run.  This should normally be `/usr/local/bin', but write it as
         `${exec_prefix}/bin'.  (If you are using Autoconf, write it as
         address@hidden@'; if you are using Automake and need to refer to it,
         write it as `$(bindir)'.)

My question was, can you refer to it as ${bindir} in Automake, so we are
recommending the same syntax for the automake and no-autotools cases?
(This is not a question about make or shells or perl or anything else. :)

Thanks,
karl