Re: Help building a MSVC project

From: Bernd Jendrissek
Subject: Re: Help building a MSVC project
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:35:55 +0200

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Stepan Kasal <address@hidden> wrote:
>  On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 05:53:48PM +0200, Bernd Jendrissek wrote:
>  > Ideally that would be just "autoreconf -i" in all autoconfiscated projects.
>
>  well, why "-i".   Shouldn't it _ideally_ be just "autoreconf"?

Touche :)  I guess it's a choice between optimising the bootstrap, or
optimising re-bootstrap after updating one of the autotools.

>  > [...] extending autoreconf - perhaps by providing
>
> > ${pkgdatadir}/autoreconf.d/ into which other packages can drop files
>  > that get run whenever one invokes autoreconf?
>
>  Well, such an extensible framework might work.

It would have to know in which order to execute commands.  intltoolize
after autopoint, for example.

>  But IMHO, the best comfort/complexity ratio of all such meta-autoconf
>  tools provides Good Old Shell.  IOW a few lines of shell in a
>  customized ./bootstrap is worth a thisand of intelligent perl
>  bootstrappers.

It's just that my sense of aesthetics is offended by the existence of
a *thousand* such collections of a "few lines" of shell in a
customised ./{autogen,bootstrap}.sh amongst all the autoconfiscated
packages out there.  And those "few lines" invariably grow until one
can't trivially grasp their correctness with one glance.  They're all
asymptotically growing towards autoreconf-like intelligence anyway!