Re: AC_C_LONG_DOUBLE is obsolescent.

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: AC_C_LONG_DOUBLE is obsolescent.
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 22:39:48 +0000 (UTC)

Andreas Schwab <schwab <at> suse.de> writes:

> Eric Blake <ebb9 <at> byu.net> writes:
>
> > Most C89 compilers these days provide long double at least as an
> > extension,
>
> long double is not an extension.  Did you mistake it with long long?

Indeed.  A closer look at C89 requires 'long double'.  Therefore,
AC_TYPE_LONG_DOUBLE should always succeed.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if AC_TYPE_LONG_DOUBLE_WIDER has a bug - there are
some platforms (OpenBSD 4.0 and BeOS, for example), where <float.h> is buggy,
and the information about 'long double' is copied from the information
about 'double', even though 'long double' really is a wider type.  So on those
platforms, AC_TYPE_LONG_DOUBLE_WIDER may be coming up with the wrong answer
because of the buggy header.

--
Eric Blake