Question about CFLAGS

From: Sérgio Durigan Júnior
Subject: Question about CFLAGS
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:25:26 -0300

Hi all,

I'm modifying a configure script in order to get things compiled in my
platform. Well, the thing is that I have a GCC compiler that generates
natively 32-bit objects, but as I'm running a biarch (64-bit kernel with
32-bit userspace), I'm trying to compile the program for 64-bit
environments using the '-m64' flag.

My question is about the CFLAGS variable. What should be the standard
behaviour when I provide my own CFLAGS (in this case, '-m64') for
configure script? Should it override its own CFLAGS and use only mine,
or should it append my CFLAGS to its CFLAGS, using a combination of
both?

Thanks,

--
Sérgio Durigan Júnior
Linux on Power Toolchain - Software Engineer