AC_PROG_CC question

From: Klaas Vantournhout
Subject: AC_PROG_CC question
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 15:27:21 +0200 (CEST)

Hi

I Just started to use autotools and I was a bit puzzled about the following.

When I am using two AC_PROG_CC macros in an if statement, then it fails
to see that gcc is a gnu compiler. Also the rest of the configure script
seems to fail tests, even if they compile correctly.
======= configure.ac =====
AC_INIT(test, 1.0)
if test false = true; then
AC_PROG_CC
else
AC_PROG_CC
fi
AC_OUTPUT
===========================

[ autotool]$ autoreconf --install
[ autotool]$ ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... no
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... unsupported
configure: creating ./config.status

Notice the second line where it clearly states no, while it is for sure
a yes! Also all the other tests are failing.
Am I doing something wrong here ...

Thanks a lot for your help

--
"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable
end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small