AC_LANG_PROGRAM(C): function 'main' without prototype

From: Nico R.
Subject: AC_LANG_PROGRAM(C): function 'main' without prototype
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:14:44 +0200

Hello!

When I tried to compile glibc-2.6.1 (with NPTL support) with CFLAGS including ‘-Wstrict-prototypes’, I noticed that a configure test failed which should have succeeded. I could track the problem down to AC_LANG_PROGRAM(C) in c.m4 from autoconf:

AC_LANG_PROGRAM(C) uses a ‘main’ function without a prototype. If CFLAGS contains ‘-Werror’ (it does in my case, because the configure script in the glibc package adds it), a test using AC_LANG_PROGRAM(C), for example AC_LINK_IFELSE, fails.

Shouldn’t the line
  main ()
be
  main (void)
instead? Or may this cause problems with some compilers? Should ‘-Wstrict-prototypes’ be removed from CFLAGS instead? And should this be fixed in autoconf or should I report a bug against glibc?

I examined autoconf-2.61; the problem may be present in other versions as well.

Thanks
--
Nico