Help! Makefile incorrectly generated with gettext support!

From: Chris Rankin
Subject: Help! Makefile incorrectly generated with gettext support!
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 05:21:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am trying to add gettext support to a project, but po/Makefile is being
generated incorrectly:

e.g. the po/Makevars file is not being included:

# Makevars gets inserted here. (Don't remove this line!)

.SUFFIXES:

and the @POMAKEFILEDEPS@ macro is not being expanded:

Makefile: Makefile.in.in Makevars $(top_builddir)/config.status @POMAKEFILEDEPS@
        cd $(top_builddir) \
          && CONFIG_FILES=$(subdir)/address@hidden CONFIG_HEADERS= \
               $(SHELL) ./config.status

This also means that $(top_builddir) never has its value set. My configure.in
file contains the following lines:

AC_INIT(configure.in)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(myproject, 0.1)
AM_MAINTAINER_MODE
AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)

AC_LANG_CPLUSPLUS
AC_ISC_POSIX
AC_PROG_CXX
AM_PROG_CC_STDC
AC_HEADER_STDC

AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external])
AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION(0.17)
AM_XGETTEXT_OPTION([--from-code=UTF-8])

pkg_modules="gtk+-2.0 >= 2.4.0"
PKG_CHECK_MODULES(PACKAGE, [$pkg_modules])
AC_SUBST(PACKAGE_CFLAGS)
AC_SUBST(PACKAGE_LIBS)

# etc etc

AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT

AC_OUTPUT([
Makefile
src/Makefile
po/Makefile.in
])

The AM_XGETTEXT_OPTION macro for adding the "--from-code" argument is not being
expanded either. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong, please? I am
using Fedora 9, which ships with gettext 0.17, autoconf 2.61 and automake
1.10.1. I have already tried deleting my m4 directory and the po/Makefile*
files and then regenerating everything, without success.

Thanks,
Chris

Not happy with your email address?.
Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at
Yahoo! http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html