Re: autorescan?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: autorescan?
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 06:11:39 +0200

Hello Tim.

* Tim Post wrote on Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 05:43:52AM CEST:

> Does a means to safely merge an existing configure.ac with the newly
> created configure.scan exist? Its easy enough to just copy the output of
> autoscan 2>&1 | awk '{ print $4 }' and paste it, I'm hoping to automate
> this safely.

No such automation exists.  I expect that it would be dwarfed by the
work needed to adjust the actual sources for all the new tests, too
(i.e., adding '#ifdef HAVE_SOME_HEADER_H' where needed, and such).

BTW, I'd introduce new configure tests only when I know or strongly
suspect them to actually fix a portability issue; and I'd still try
hard to find a platform that exposes the non-default test result, to
make sure not to rely on other unnoticed assumptions.

Hope that helps.