Re: ac_cv_sizeof_X, et al.

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: ac_cv_sizeof_X, et al.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:32:06 +0200

* Philip Prindeville wrote on Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 01:27:17AM CEST:
> I'm looking at sox-12.17.9 and seeing in their "configure" file (which
> claims to be generated via Autoconf 2.59) from their configure.in file
> and seeing:
>
> ac_cv_sizeof_x="$ac_cv_sizeof_char:$ac_cv_sizeof_short"

Well, for starters, they violate Autoconf's namespace by using variables
matching ac_* which may clash with Autoconf-provided ones.  Whether this
gets them into trouble (with some Autoconf version) or not, is their
problem.

Eric Blake wrote:
> Newer autoconf versions are able to accurately determine type sizes when
> cross-compiling, making life much easier for porting to a
> cross-compilation platform.

He's using Autoconf 2.59.  Not sure what you're referring to, but that
version did have working compile-time size check IIRC.