A rosetta stone of package names?

From: Tim Post
Subject: A rosetta stone of package names?
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:38:50 +0800

Hello autoconfers.

I am trying to create a ./configure that prompts the use to auto install
packages that may be missing in order to complete the build.

For instance:

checking for main in libfoo [no]
libfoo is missing, would you like to install it? [Y/n]

In order to be completely distro agnostic, I need to translate 'libcurl'
into whatever their distribution has named the package. Curl is just an
example.

Does anyone know of any table anywhere that correlates colloquial
package names to the specific names that various package installers want
to hear?

I'm sure that this is slightly off topic, but this list is my best hope
for such a question.

Thanks in advance.
--Tim

--