Re: Noooooooooo!

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Noooooooooo!
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 22:37:59 +0200

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 08:22:53PM CEST:
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Harlan Stenn wrote:
>
>> I've used cross-compiles (off and on) for years and I gotta say the
>> first time I got this message I probably did some pissing and moaning.
>> But I do believe that proper naming is the way to go.
>>
>> Then I created the proper names using symlinks and the problem went
>> away.
>>
>> I've yet to see a case where fixing this in the way autoconf "wants" is
>> even mildly difficult.
>
> Same here.  The course has been set.  Let's stick with it.

This ignores the fact that some users get this warning not because they
are using unprefixed tools, but rather because they are using compiler
wrappers like mpicc, mpxlc etc.  And they may not even really do cross
compiling, it may just be that their system consists of two units, a
compile one and a (massively parallel) compute one.  IMVHO it is quite
unusual to ask them to add symlinks to some weird names.

I think we should keep a warning (so that unwary users get aware that
they *may* be using the wrong tools), but not the current one.  Proposed
replacement:

  configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet

Cheers, and yes, that's very IMVHO,