Re: [autoconf] Extracting configuration info from config.status

From: Barry Leslie
Subject: Re: [autoconf] Extracting configuration info from config.status
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:24:24 -0700

The whole motivation behind doing this was to make is simpler and less error
prone for the user.

One reason to not want to build it as part of the tree is that adding it to
the tree requires the user to run autoconf, aoutomake, .... Which they may
not have installed or may be incompatible versions with the version the tree
was original set up with. Not fun.

Getting MySQL to add a hook to solve this problem is one solution. But
getting autoconf to add a hook to solve it solve the problem for everyone.
Since configure creates the file and stores the information in it it seems
reasonable that configure  should be able to get the information back out
again.

Consider this a feature request. :)

In the meantime I have to find my own solution.

Barry

On 10/15/08 9:21 AM, "address@hidden"
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:57:01 -0700
> Barry Leslie <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I work on plug-ins for MySQL and building a plug-in out side of the MySQL
>> tree requires that you configure your build with the same compiler settings
>> as the MySQL build that you are targeting.
>>
>> To do this I have created a macro that uses a --with-mysql configuration
>> option to give it the location the local MySQL build. This macro then reads
>> the  config.status file from the MySQL build to get the build flags of
>> interest.
>>
>> The problem of course is that the format of config.status is not constant
>> and every time some one finds a format I haven't come across yet I need to
>> update the macro to handle it.
>
> Yet I've never built MySQL by myself, but I think
> recent popular solution (around freedesktop related
> field) would be pkgconfig. When building a library A,
> configure in the source package of A generates A.pc
> and the installer copies A.pc to /usr/share/pkgconfgi
> or /usr/lib/pkgconfig.
>
> Afterwards, a builder of application B can
> retrieve the appropriate CFLAGS/LDFLAGS to link
> library A by the commands like "pkg-config A --cflags".
>
> So I think making MySQL provides pkgconfig file
> would be generic solution for developers.
>
> If we can modify configure.ac of MySQL and update
> configure, it won't be too hard to add mysql.pc,
> but I guess the update of configure script may make
> many building-only people troubled. Your target
> developers are sufficiently familiar with the process
> of modify-and-update autoconf stuffs?
>
> Regards,
> mpsuzuki

Barry Leslie

SNAP Innovation Softwareentwicklung GmbH
Senior Software Engineer

Tel: (001) 250 595 4228
Fax: (001) 250 595 4233
Email: address@hidden
Web: www.PrimeBase.com

SNAP Innovation Softwareentwicklung GmbH, D-22765 Hamburg,
Max-Brauer-Allee 50, Germany
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 61066, Geschäftsführer: Ulrich Zimmer, Paul
McCullagh