Re: cache problem

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: cache problem
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 09:52:48 +0200

* Duft Markus wrote on Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 09:26:44AM CEST:
> It happens when:
>
>  *) configuring automake 1.9.6 with ./configure --cache-file=../cache
>  *) bootstrapping libtool 1.5.24 or 26 with autoconf 2.59
>  *) configuring libtool with the same cache: ./configure
> --cache-file=../cache

And the error message you are seeing is?
(Sorry for not repeating that question last time around,
but you should cut and paste both the commands you enter
and the output.)

You also did not state what system this is happening on.

Please, Markus, read this text:
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>.
It is available in many languages, and contains a lot of
very helpful bits that make interaction between users and
developers so much easier and less time consuming.

And then please provide proof that something is going wrong
for you.

Also, I posted a recipe for you to try (and modify) so that
it exposes the issue.  If you could do that, that would be
helpful, too; even just trying it out without modifying it
would help.  It should cost you less than a minute to cut
and paste the commands into a shell, and cut and paste the
results back.  Thanks.

> So it seems, that this is a problem of older autoconf versions...?

That remains to be seen.  Whether a bug is already fixed
cannot sensibly be judged until it is clear what the bug is.

FWIW, I vaguely recall that we fixed some AC_CANONICAL* bug
in the last few years, but it could have been a different issue.