Re: [CFT] Shell functionization patch (if you don't know what that means

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Re: [CFT] Shell functionization patch (if you don't know what that means, it's faster Autoconf and leaner configure scripts)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 04:41:28 -0500

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
> According to Tom Browder on 10/26/2008 5:38 PM:
>> Any chance of getting (autoconf < > configure) to be able
>> to use a Perl script if a macro finds suitable evidence of a modern
>> Perl capability?
> Autoconf already uses perl to convert into configure.  I
> think you are asking what it would take to rewrite configure to use perl
> rather than sh.  But what would it buy us?  sh is more portable than perl

Eric, I saw the mod as working toward a capability to use another
language during the user's configure step if it is found.  I'm trying
to fix a configure system to modify the Makefile somehow based on the
existence of, in my case, Apache fop.  I've been able to do that but
not as cleanly as I would like.  With the current capability I think
my only solution is to include different Makefile fragments based on
the configure test, but I haven't tried it yet.