Re: recording flags specified to configure scripts

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: recording flags specified to configure scripts
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:49:12 +0000

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 07:18:26 Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Undocumented (so watch out when updating Autoconf), but:
>   eval "$ac_configure_args"

Didn't that get clobbered, in some not so distant past releases?
(autoconf-2.60 and 2.61 IIRC; I can't remember if it was fixed in
2.62 or not, but it is, in 2.63).

> I suppose Autoconf could provide a macro to access this variable
> which we could then document.

That would be useful.  I've used $ac_configure_args, filtered, to pass
to a sub-configure in a hybrid build, (where the main application is
cross-compiled, but the build process needs to create some tools, for
its own use on the `build' platform; the sub-configure needs to be
invoked with the --host spec filtered out, along with any reference
to host_alias, and IIRC, I also filtered out similar references which
relate to the --build spec; furthermore, the sub-configure cannot
share a cache file, with the main configure process).  A documented,
and therefore hopefully stable, mechanism to achieve that objective
would be much preferred, to a technique based on an undocumented
feature, such as is currently required.

--

Regards,
Keith.