Re: Core-utils 7.2; building only 'su'

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Core-utils 7.2; building only 'su'
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:49:44 -0400

   > I tend to agree that INSTALL should either mention DESTDIR (and
   > probably also V, which now plays a role with new enough
   > automake), or at least point to the GNU Coding Standards and the
   > Automake manual overview of the GNU build system.  Does anyone
   > want to beat me to a patch?

   The problem is that DESTDIR is not a mandatory standard and
   packages may not adequately implement it even if Automake itself
   does the right thing.  If INSTALL says that DESTDIR is supported
   and a package blindly includes the INSTALL file, then package users
   may end up with a very unpleasant surprise (e.g. damaged operating
   system) if the package misbehaves with DESTDIR.

This is already the case for INSTALL.  For example, `make uninstall'
is often broken in many packages.  Same for --program-prefix.

The INSTALL file is probobly the best place to document this.