question about how to continue a line of text in AC_MSG_ERROR macro call

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: question about how to continue a line of text in AC_MSG_ERROR macro call...
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 07:45:52 -0600

Howdy all!

Here's a question of style. I have the following code:

# If HDF5 is not found, error out if the user specifically asked for
# netcdf-4, otherwise just turn netCDF-4 off.
if test "x$nc_hdf5_h_missing" = xyes; then
   if test "x$enable_netcdf_4" = xyes; then
      AC_MSG_ERROR([NetCDF-4 requires HDF5, but hdf5.h cannot be found. Try
using the --with-hdf5 option to specify location of HDF5.])
   else
      enable_netcdf_4=no
   fi
else
   if test ! "x$enable_netcdf_4" = xno; then
      enable_netcdf_4=yes
   fi
fi

I want to put a line break in the error message so that I don't have
such a long line in my configure.ac file. But if I do this:

      AC_MSG_ERROR([NetCDF-4 requires HDF5, but hdf5.h cannot be found. Try
using \
      the --with-hdf5 option to specify location of HDF5.])

I get the ugly "     " in the middle of my text.

I'm sure there is some simple way to do this, but what is it?

Thanks!

Ed

--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden