detect if fortran compiler is available

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: detect if fortran compiler is available
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 12:30:13 -0400

Hello,

I wonder if there is an easy way to test if there is a Fortran compiler available.

We are using GSL, which needs to be linked with a cblas library. To test which cblas library to use, we employ the ACX_BLAS macro (http://autoconf-archive.cryp.to/acx_blas.html) and if nothing is found we fall back on libgslcblas provided with GSL. The problem is that ACX_BLAS exits with error when there is no fortran compiler available due to a call to AC_F77_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS. Therefore, we'd like to test if fortran is available and if not avoid calling fortran related things. If possible, we'd prefer to avoid adding fortran as an requirement for our package and instead when fortran is not available for example fall back on libgslcblas which is completely independent of fortran code. Is there a macro available within Autoconf or Autoconf Archive that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Peter

--
Peter Johansson