Re: autoconf does not process README.in

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: autoconf does not process README.in
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 09:39:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 30 May 2009, Peter O'Gorman wrote:

Why do you need to make substitutions in the README file? Usually this
file is read before the user ever runs ./configure, and contains package
specific information.

As we know, autoconf/automake has confisticated our package version numbers (without hearing, trial, or public testimony) for these many years. There is a proposal on the table to liberate our version numbers so that our software can be free. In the mean time it is reasonable to try to specify the original package version number in as few places as possible.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn