Invoking lower-level configure from top-level configure

From: Garrett Cooper
Subject: Invoking lower-level configure from top-level configure
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 13:00:56 -0700

Hi Autoconf folks!
    I'm working with the LTP project, in part to unite the Makefiles
and automate bringing in all of our sources with common configuration
data.
    LTP consists of many projects and sources, so rather than go out
and force all of the projects to produce dynamic/static Makefiles that
fit into our infrastructure, I feel that it's best to link together
the configuration data in a hierarchical call to configure/make.
    So again, what I'm trying to do is something similar to the following:

    .../configure.ac

             ----------> .../testcases/open_hpi_test_suite/Makefile.am
(invoke autoconf with config data)

.../testcases/kernel/syscalls/libevent/Makefile.am (invoke autoconf
with config data)

    etc.
    If it can be done -- cool. If it can't be done, let me know and
I'll architect a solution that best fits the problem.
Thanks,
-Garrett