Re: AC_INIT seems to be setting CXXFLAGS

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: AC_INIT seems to be setting CXXFLAGS
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:20:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

The terrible part about how this mechanism works is that it injects into
CXXFLAGS itself, which means that, without my configure script can't
override that via the setting of AM_CXXFLAGS.

I cannot parse this sentence.  Can you explain?

He is saying that he is not able to override the C++ compiler compilation flags by using only Automake.

Most compilers evaluate arguments in left to right order, and will override previously set arguments, but this is not assured.

furthermore, some compilers have limits on the number of preprocessor
options which they'll accept...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net