Re: How can I test if the GNU or Sun linker is used?

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Re: How can I test if the GNU or Sun linker is used?
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 03:31:36 +0100

Philip Herron wrote:

Hey

Not to sound annoying, but are you maybe approaching the problem the
wrong way around? You use autoconf so you don't have to worry about
these problems. So i take it sage is c or c++ etc..

All you should really care about is making sure your environment has a
compatible c compiler or whats needed and autoconf does that for you,
with the prog_c macro then it inserts into the makefile etc. And you
just have to make sure your code is compatible. I would discourage
trying to over-think and separate what compilers, assemblers are being
used to give warnings, because thats not what you want. You want
autoconf to figure out your environment for you so you don't have to
have complicated makefiles and options to build your program.

Sage consists of about 100 different packages. Languages used include C, C++, Fortran, LISP, Python and possibly others.

Some of those bits of code currently assume the linker is GNU, and so send GNU options with the -Wl flag directly to the linker. That breaks if its the Sun linker, as one needs to use different flags. Normally the issue arises when building shared libraries.