Re: AC_PREREQ comes first in autoscan

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AC_PREREQ comes first in autoscan
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 19:38:22 +0200

Hello,

* NightStrike wrote on Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 06:19:07PM CEST:
> "This macro is the only macro that may be used before AC_INIT,

This isn't even true.  AC_DEFUN and m4_define, as well as other m4sugar
elements, are widely used before AC_INIT (when you consider that
autoconf parses aclocal.m4 before it starts reading configure.ac).
AU_DEFUN and AU_ALIAS should probably be sanctioned as well.

How about simply
  This macro may be used before AC_INIT.

?  I think elsewhere we state that AC_INIT needs to be the first macro
that produces text in the configure script (which is a better
description of what the text you quoted really wanted to say).

> but for
> consistency, you are invited not to do so."
>
> If the manual says "please don't do it," why does autoscan do it?

I have no idea.  Both code and manual have been like that for more than
seven years ...