Re: how to support compilers that cannot create executables?

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: how to support compilers that cannot create executables?
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:24:26 +0200

Hi,

thanks for you quick replies.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> * Steffen Dettmer wrote on Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 12:19:19PM CEST:
> > But because of the tests it would not make much sense to do so, right?
> > So it is better to have dummy entry code I think.
> > Sorry for my question, was not though-through.
>
> If you cannot write such a wrapper, then it probably makes just as much
> sense to pre-seed a config.site file with cache variables containing the
> correct answers for this compiler.

I'm afraid I don't understand. You mean, we could write the
results of some specific tests in advance? What kind of test
results could that be? What would be the advantage? Even with the
same compiler, results vary.

  (For instance, sometimes we have ARM TCC with localtime_r,
  sometimes without - which actually is a bad example, because
  sometimes we have and can link localtime_r, but must not use
  it, which cannot be detected by configure of course).

oki,

Steffen