Re: [autoconf] checking automake version in configure.ac

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: [autoconf] checking automake version in configure.ac
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 16:21:16 +0200

On 10/06/2009 01:58 PM, Eric Blake wrote:

According to Ralf Corsepius on 10/6/2009 1:45 AM:
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([1.11])

yes, but...

This way, running an insufficient automake on your source files will
error out.

... I don't want that behavior. I just want to add a feature, not to
forbid a user to rebuild the files.
Your consideration doesn't make sense.

If your package requires a minimum version of automake, then your
package can't be rebuilt without a sufficient version of automake,
therefore the user must be stopped running his automake.

The desired behavior TOTALLY makes sense (although this is an automake
question, not an autoconf question)
> - an example is the use of color-tests
when available, with a clean fallback to no color-tests if an older
automake was sufficient for everything else.

Well, this is an entirely different use-case.

This is changing the configure's behavior at configure run-time. It is not the running "autogen.sh" (autoreconf) case.

And whether version checking is an appropriate means/good approach in general at all, is a different question.