Re: Is there a way to insert a short pause?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Is there a way to insert a short pause?
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:07:59 +0200

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 07:59:18PM CEST:

> It would be good if autoconf provided an official way to produce
> deferred accumulated warning text displayed the end of the configure
> run.

What measure would you suggest for the case where more than a screenful
of deferred messages are displayed?

I don't like things to go yet another step up the importance race.
You can currently just print things after AC_OUTPUT.  I consider it
a feature that only the configure.ac author, as opposed to any macro
author, to be able to write there: it prevents a race on this front.

People have complained about configure being too verbose before, and
about config.log being too long or not easy enough to analyze.  The
solution to this, IMVHO, is not to make it shorter or longer or allow
for even more prominent message, but to try to be smarter in what we
produce.  This can be very difficult to achieve without sacrificing
portability (in the sense that we still give enough clues for even
remote kinds of errors).

For those who want silence except for warnings, they can use -q.