Re: Is there a way to insert a short pause?

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: Is there a way to insert a short pause?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:37:53 +0200

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>  configure: WARNING: There have been warnings during this configure run.
>
> when it has come across a AC_MSG_WARNING.  WDYT?

(I have difficulties to understand why warnings are needed for
except debug/tracing - for end users, I think, either it worked
or failed)

Beside subshells and SUBDIRS, I think also it should be
considered that configure is called by make when needed (e.g.
working on checked out sandboxes that update) and thus other
developers, who probably are the target audience for the
warnings, still would miss the messages and that (probably) often
configure and/or make are called via scripts, wrappers or some
./configure && make construction, I think.

In my team we once had discussions how to handle automatically
disabled features - as one cause for AC_MSG_WARNING. My impression
was that this was not useful (e.g. you accidently built an RPM
without the most important features) and we changed to use some
AC_MSG_ERROR([....... try --disable-xyz...]). Everything of the
platform that looks strange should not (only) lead to a configure
warning but to a failing unit test if possible. I think for
developers this OK (and people can fix and check unit tests
again, having some safety). End users usually should not install
a package where unit tests fail (e.g. --disable the non-working
features).

BTW, does configure support some option to treat warnings as errors
(like gcc -Werror option)? Would it be useful?

oki,

Steffen