Process output of a simple command

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Process output of a simple command
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:15:14 +0100

When autoconf runs on a Solaris machine, config.log shows:
---------------------------------
## --------- ##
## Platform. ##
## --------- ##

hostname = swan
uname -m = sun4u
uname -r = 5.10
uname -s = SunOS
uname -v = Generic_139555-08

/usr/bin/uname -p = sparc
/bin/uname -X     = System = SunOS
Node = swan
Release = 5.10
KernelID = Generic_139555-08
Machine = sun4u
BusType = <unknown>
Serial = <unknown>
Users = <unknown>
OEM# = 0
Origin# = 1
NumCPU = 2

/bin/arch              = sun4
/usr/bin/arch -k       = sun4u
/usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
address@hidden:[~/sage-4.1.2.rc2/spkg/base/prereq-0.5] $ grep sun4u config.log
uname -m = sun4u
Machine = sun4u
---------------------------

How can I get that result of 'Machine' or '/usr/bin/arch -k' and use it in configure.ac ?

If someone runs on Solaris 9 or earlier, I'd like to tell them to upgrade to Solaris 10, but if they are using 'sun4m' machines, then that is impossible for them. Likewise, if they are using sun4v machines, I'd like to bring to their attention a bug in Solaris, and how to circumvent it.

I tried:

if test x$Machine = 'xsun4m'
then
  AC_MSG_WARN([This is a sun4m computer running Solaris])
  etc etc
fi

but that does not work.

dave