Re: [autoconf] Re: pkg-config wisdom

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [autoconf] Re: pkg-config wisdom
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:04:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, William Pursell wrote:

Configure scripts which trust pkg-config include and library paths and
simpy concatenate them together (often in some random order) cause big
problems for users since the user has no control over the paths used.

I don't understand the comment about "random order".  The ordering
is as imposed by the author of configure.ac.   @FOO_LIBS@ @BAR_LIBS@
leads to -L/foo -L/bar, while @BAR_LIBS@ @FOO_LIBS@ leads
to -L/bar -L/foo.

It is true that within one configure script the order is not random but different configure script authors may concatenate the package information in different orders. The requirements for packages may overlap so the same -L options and -I options may appear multiple times.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn