Re: Getting a list of available C compilers

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: Getting a list of available C compilers
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 18:23:57 +0000

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 13:58:30 Steffen Dettmer wrote:
> interesting that this looks for "cl.exe" but not for "CL.EXE". I
> though uppercase would be correct

On MS-Windows hosts, the file system is case-insensitive, so there is
really no difference -- upper, lower or mixed case, they are the
same program, and the system will find cl.exe, even if you call it
CL.EXE.

> Is anyone using cl? Where?

Probably only on native MS-Windows hosts; it makes little sense to
use it elsewhere, (and may even be a violation of Microsoft's EULA
to do so).

> On windows, configure (.sh) cannot be run, so what is used? WINE,

Not *on* Windows; (and running cl.exe under WINE seems rather a
pointless exercise, IMO).  My personal preference is a GNU/Linux
hosted mingw32-cross, testing the executables under WINE, or in a
similarly hosted VirtualBox running WinXP.

> cygwin, MSYS?

Both of these have their respective advocates; both are extremely
capable of running configure scripts on MS-Windows.

--

Regards,
Keith.