Re: autoconf incorrectly(?) reports that g++ can't build shared library

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: autoconf incorrectly(?) reports that g++ can't build shared library on OpenBSD
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:20:17 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Mike wrote:

I know, this is not good way (need to check versions etc), but after
building this app with my patch it's working good.
After trying to build midnight commander on MacOS-10.5 (darwin-xx),
I think that gnu autoconf is full of bugs.

Yes, I am sure that gnu autoconf is full of bugs, but these bugs are crushed under the immense weight of thousands of lines of well-tested unbuggy code. :-)

Did you notice the --with-gnu-ld configure argument which should have allowed you to avoid editing the configure script?

It seems that OpenBSD usually uses its own linker, but you encountered one where 'ld' is actually GNU ld.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn