Re[2]: autoconf-2.65 has 252 test failures on OpenSolaris x86

From: Konstantin Andreev
Subject: Re[2]: autoconf-2.65 has 252 test failures on OpenSolaris x86
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 12:51:27 +0300

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

It's pretty ironic that a Solaris shell should warn about `...`, with Autoconf using
that construct mostly because shells like Solaris <=10 /bin/sh does not cope with
$(...).  Oh well.  Can the shell be told to not output these warnings somehow?  I took a
quick look at <> but couldn't find a
switch or environment variable to do so.

I assume that this OpenSolaris system has the "new" ksh93 shell, which is
vastly different than previous Solaris /bin/sh and includes much more than a shell (it is
a shell + utilities).  The project page for this is at

Yes, it appears so. It links to a file ksh93.

bash-3.2$ ls -l /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          13 Oct 26 17:20 /bin/sh -> ../../sbin/sh
bash-3.2$ ls -l /sbin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          20 Oct 26 17:17 /sbin/sh ->

But ksh93 does not complain about `...`, on neither X86, nor Sparc Solaris,

address@hidden ~]# sed -n -e 1p -e \$p /etc/release
                 Solaris Express Community Edition snv_122 SPARC
                            Assembled 24 August 2009
address@hidden ~]# /usr/bin/ksh93
address@hidden:~# echo =`sleep 1`=

It looks like something goes wrong in other place.

Best regards,
Konstantin Andreev, software engineer.
Swemel JSC