Generating version numbers from files not tags, in mixed svn / git-svn e

From: Raphael 'kena' Poss
Subject: Generating version numbers from files not tags, in mixed svn / git-svn environments
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 13:57:47 +0100

Hi all,

I would like to submit the attached script to your collective attention. This
is a helper script to automate handling project version numbers in a mixed
autoconf / svn / git-svn environment.

Some context: I work in an environment where source code is primarily stored in
and distributed from Subversion repositories, but where several developers
maintain local git clones using git-svn. We were interested to generate
automatically and use version numbers in our code that are meaningful; `git
describe' and `git-version-gen' were inspiring but we are working under
different assumptions:

- version numbers are derived from the content of a file, not the name of a tag
in the SCM repository;

- versions numbers must be meaningful even for people working directly using
svn (i.e. without git);

- we are privileging svn revision numbers over git hashes: when compiling from
a git-svn branch and the last commit was produced by `git-svn dcommit', we
prefer to use the corresponding svn version number.

Hence the attached script, similar in use and purpose as `git-version-gen' but
implemented entirely differently to support Subversion primarily instead (and
git hashes as a fallback). Like git-version-gen the top of the script contains
documentation, examples and how-to-use instructions.

From this point I have a few questions:

- would you have any suggestions as to the portability of this script? Despite
the explicit mention of "/bin/bash" at the top I think very few bashisms are
being in use and I would welcome trying to get rid of them.

- the way I currently use this with Automake is as follows, which I find
simpler than the GNUmakefile approach used by M4, Bison and others:

  ##
  ## Version number management
  ##

  EXTRA_DIST = .version
  BUILT_SOURCES = $(top_srcdir)/.version

  $(top_srcdir)/.version:
        echo $(VERSION) >address@hidden && mv address@hidden $@

  dist-hook: check-version
        echo $(VERSION) >$(distdir)/build-aux/tarball-version

  install-exec-am install-data-am installcheck-am: check-version

  VERSION_GEN = (cd $(top_srcdir); build-aux/version-gen \
        build-aux/tarball-version build-aux/package-version)

  .PHONY: check-version _version
  check-version:
        set -e; \
        if ! test "x$(VERSION)" = "x`$(VERSION_GEN)`"; then \
           echo "Version string not up to date: run 'make _version' first."
>&2; \
           exit 1; \
        fi

  _version:
        cd $(srcdir) && rm -rf autom4te.cache .version &&
$${AUTORECONF:-autoreconf}

Do you have any comments about this approach? Any criticisms or suggested
improvements?

Best regards,

-- k