specify AC_INIT version externally

From: esseffe
Subject: specify AC_INIT version externally
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 08:30:14 -0800 (PST)

What's the easiest way to specify the AC_INIT package version external to

I have about 12 sets of that compile the same code
in slightly different ways. The version set in AC_INIT has to be the same
for all's. I want to avoid having to set this manually in each each time the version is changed. I have a script which invokes
configure and make for each package. I pass to the script the version, and
would like to have a way to pass this version to either configure or make so
that it is included in the name of the source distribution file.

Alternatively, is there a way to set up and the's
so that the twelve different source distribution files (the
<package>-<version>-tar.gz files) can be generated from a single

Sent from the Gnu - Autoconf - General mailing list archive at