How to specify Makefile in configure.ac for private (factory only) direc

From: rjbriody
Subject: How to specify Makefile in configure.ac for private (factory only) directory?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:50:48 -0800 (PST)

I am specifying my Makefiles in configure.ac:

AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile
                                 private/Makefile])

However, I remove the private directory during "make dist". This causes a
./configure in the distributed package to fail because private/Makefile.in
does not exist. How do I add flexibility for directories to configure.ac?

Thank You.