Re: checking Mac OS X headers

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: checking Mac OS X headers
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:31:13 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Braden McDaniel wrote:

So, what I would like to do is checking Mac OS X headers in an m4 macro.
If the objective C compiler is installed, no problem. If it is not, i
would like that, in the m4 macro, the test not to be done.

i think that you didn't understood the problem or i didn't explain it
very well.

Well, I think you would have been able to describe the problem better if
you had simplified your test.

AFAICT, this is all you need to demonstrate the problem:

       AC_INIT([test], [0.0])
       AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

       LT_INIT

       AC_PROG_OBJC
       AC_PROG_OBJCPP

       AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])

       AC_OUTPUT

Actually, if everything is in the configure, i know how to avoid the problem:

m4_ifdef([AC_PROG_OBJC],
   [
    AC_PROG_OBJC
    _AM_DEPENDENCIES(OBJC)
   ],
   [
    AC_CHECK_TOOL([OBJC], [gcc])
    AC_SUBST([OBJC])
    AC_SUBST([OBJCFLAGS])
   ])
AC_PROG_CC

if test "x${ac_cv_objc_compiler_gnu}" = "xyes" ; then
   AC_LANG_PUSH([Objective C])
   AC_CHECK_HEADER([Cocoa/Cocoa.h],
      [
       have_quartz="yes"
       quartz_ldflags="-framework Cocoa"
      ],
      [have_quartz="no"])
   AC_LANG_POP([Objective C])
fi

but doing the same test in the m4 macro does not work. I don't understand why.

Vincent Torri