Re: How to enable to generate configure to must take argum

From: TJ Yang
Subject: Re: How to enable to generate configure to must take arguments ?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:19:04 -0600

> I still don't see why you think this is a good thing.  This violates the
> GNU Coding Standards.  Most developers are already quite familiar with
> the concept of './configure --help' if they want details, without having
> to be told that with a no-argument run; and most packages are already
> smart enough about doing a sane thing with a default of no arguments.

I am learning autotool by autoconfiscating xymon project(see R1).

The existing hand-made "configure" script need to ask questions to
decide following goals
1. build a local-client that process xymon messages before sending it out.
    1.1 this option need to build bind to pcre library.
2. build a centralize client which dump raw system message to server.
    2.1 no need to bind to pcre .
3  build a xymon server with depend on more server side software like
ldap,rrdtool etc..

this "configure" without command options wouldn't achieve above goals.

T.J. Yang