Re: AC_CHECK_LIB not finding my library

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: AC_CHECK_LIB not finding my library
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:22:39 +0200

Eric Blake wrote:
> On 04/19/2010 10:00 AM, Joel J. Adamson wrote:
>>     > Does this portion of the manual already contain enough hints in
>>     > that direction?  If not, are you willing to help provide some
>>     > wording to add to the manual?
>>     >
>> Hi, I downloaded the manual from CVS to make a patch with my wording of
>> the solution to my problem, but can't find the "Debugging configure
>> scripts" subsection of the FAQ in autoconf.texi[1], even after updating
>> all the menus.  Is this section gone in CVS?
> Rather, CVS is waaay outdated, and is no longer the canonical
> repository.  We use git now:
>>  Should I submit a patch
>> for my installed version[2]?
> Better would be to rebase your patch against git.
> Meanwhile, Jim might be able to help us further clamp down the old CVS
> repository so that others are less likely to make that mistake in the
> future.

Hi Eric,

Yes, that would be good to do.
You (as an autoconf administrator) can help on that front
by deactivating the "cvs" feature, if it's not already done

(I still see "Use CVS" on the "Source Code" menu, here

But that doesn't help people with already-checked-out sources,
so I've taken the liberty of cvs-removing all files and creating
one new one, README-use-git, with this content:

  This repository is no longer in use; please use the git repository:

Thus, anyone who runs cvs update on an old repo will learn that
the canonical sources are no longer in that CVS repository.