Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99 and AC_OPENMP

From: William Pursell
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99 and AC_OPENMP
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 08:06:59 -1000

Joel J. Adamson wrote:
> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

>> If you don't need to work with Autoconf < 2.62, I suggest you add an
>>   AC_PREREQ([2.62])
>
> I had it, and then I discovered that the Beowulf cluster (emerald) at
> the university here has version 2.59.

I don't understand how that's an issue.  If you have write
permission on a directory on the box in which you are doing
development (and I can't see how one could do anything
that would be called 'development' without it), then
you can install modern autoconf and use it.  You don't
need to have autoconf installed on the machine that
your software runs on, only the machine that you
use to build the tarball.  But if you do want to
use autoconf on your target machine, you can install
it just as easily as installing your own software.

Ralf, I'm curious as to your statement about *needing*
autoconf < 2.62.  I truly don't understand why anyone
is unable to update and use modern versions.  Other
than policy dictates from a boss or project director,
is there any reason not to use the latest release?

--
William Pursell