Re: Properly handling conditional functions in header

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Properly handling conditional functions in header
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 07:36:21 +0200

Hello Evan,

* Evan Klinger wrote on Mon, May 24, 2010 at 08:55:08PM CEST:
> We have a shared library that we install which includes the header
> which contains the functions available in the library. However,
> depending upon the ./configure options, not all of the functions will
> be available and won't be compiled in. Thus we would like to remove
> these from the header file. Currently they are wrapped in #ifdefs
> which come from config.h but once the header is installed, the
> config.h is no longer necessary or used. So I'm wondering what the
> best approach is to remove the function prototypes from the header for
> the functions that were not compiled in.

One possible approach is to use a second config header.  You need to
write its template yourself (autoheader only creates that for the first
config header) and you can put only needed symbols in there, as '#undef
foo'.  With names that are specific to your package, it would be fine to
install this header.