Re: Adding a newline to AS_HELP_STRING

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Adding a newline to AS_HELP_STRING
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:46:45 +0200

Hello Jason,

* Jason Butler wrote on Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 05:57:12AM CEST:

> How can I insert a newline into the second argument of AS_HELP_STRING?
> I want something like
> AS_HELP_STRING([message 1],[message 2 \n message 3]) However this just
> prints "\n" in the help message and not a newline.

I think the intention of AS_HELP_STRING is that it formats both of its
arguments for you, i.e., adds newlines as appropriate when lines get too
long.  If that doesn't fit for me, I tend to just not use AS_HELP_STRING
but pass a literal, expanded string to AC_ARG_ENABLE (or whatever other
outer macro call you're using there), with indentation and newlines
where I need them.

I also think mixing automatic line wrapping with manual line wrapping
within one macro would not be a good idea.

Hope that helps.