Re: 'make' vs 'make -j1': Tpo files in different places

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: 'make' vs 'make -j1': Tpo files in different places
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 20:23:04 +0200

* Chris Stankevitz wrote on Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:50:00PM CEST:
> --- On Tue, 7/20/10, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > Please post 'make' and 'make -j1' output that shows this
> > difference,
>
> Attached.

Thanks.  Even with your problem solved in the meantime, I would like to
know whether there is a bug in Automake to be fixed.  I cannot reproduce
the issue with the information you provided yet.

Which make version are you using?  Maybe handling of $* changed between
versions, and that causes the issues.

Can you send (off-list, gzip'ed) the Makefile that causes the failure?
I assume you are not using subdir-objects?  (I think your make output
already shows that.)

> > Which Automake version are you using?
>
> SimLib/Expression$ automake --version
> automake (GNU automake) 1.10.1

Please update to at least 1.10.3, preferably 1.11.1, in order to avoid a
security-related issue with 'make dist'.

> > IIUC then the BUILT_SOURCES are to be distributed, right?  If yes,
> > they should rather be in MAINTAINERCLEANFILES than in CLEANFILES,
> > and if no, they should rather be built in the build tree not the
> > source tree, so that read-only source trees can work.  If that is
> > possible with antlr, that is.
>
> I understand.  I have the freedom to place them wherever I choose.  I
> chose $(srcdir) because I thought it would simplify the Makefile.am.
> It will be a good exercise for me to move the files to the builddir
> and see what issues come up.

Well, 'make distcheck' should be able to tell you whether what you chose
works with a read-only source tree.

> > > $(srcdir)/TCExpressionLexer.hpp: $(srcdir)/TCExpressionLexer.cpp
[...]
> > Why are these dependencies necessary?
>
> I am following this pattern:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/automake/Multiple-Outputs.html