Re: ax_prefix_config_h.m4 causes files to be left after "make distclean"

From: David Bruce
Subject: Re: ax_prefix_config_h.m4 causes files to be left after "make distclean"
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:16:34 -0600

Hi Rhys,

> I ran into this myself in the past few days.  Add the offending files
> to DISTCLEANFILES within your toplevel Makefile.am and your distclean
> target will work again.
>
> For example, in a package called ESIO within configure.ac I call
>    AX_PREFIX_CONFIG_H([esio/esio-config.h])
> and the corresponding entries within my toplevel Makefile.am's
> DISTCLEANFILES are
>   DISTCLEANFILES = _configs.sed esio/esio-config.h

Thanks - I had come up with another workaround, which was to manually
add the offending files to be removed in distclean-hdr:

# If using AX_PREFIX_CONFIG_H, distclean leaves some files so get rid
of them (HACK)
distclean-hdr:
        -rm -f config.h stamp-h1 _configs.sed t4k_common-config.h

But if I try simply "DISTCLEANFILES = _configs.sed
t4k_common-config.h", I now get an error that the other
config.h-related files don't get removed, namely config.h and
stamp-h1.  Of course it is simple enough to just put them on the same
line.  My question is, is there a correct way to augment a built-in
rule or variable without clobbering the behavior it would ordinarily
have?  I wasn't able to use "DISTCLEAN +=" for this.  Anyway, my
project is working.

Thanks,

David Bruce